Sunday, April 11, 2010

What really makes difference?






April 8 was barefoot day held by Toms shoe brand. People in Harding campus walked around barefooted. Of course, not all of them, and in fact, not even half did. But some did. They sold Toms shoes also. However, with quite tight budget in my money pocket, I did not buy Toms shoes. I just walked around wtihout shows for awareness of the children in En Salvador who do not have shoes. and I thought it would make a difference SOMEHOW. I did not even think deeply how walking around the campus without shoes would make difference. I felt good about it because I was participating in an event that had a good cause.
and then I talked to my host dad about it a few days later. He asked me, "so how does walking around the campus barefooted make difference in the children's lives in En Salvador?" I said, "it makes me aware of it." then he said, "how does just being aware of it deal with the actual situation of reality in En Salvador?" and it hit me. Awareness is one of ways to deal and help for a cause but it is not ALL. Awareness is just starting point of dealing with real world crisis. To really help and deal with the crisis, we have to give them something. We have to PROVIDE. and now thinking about it, money was just some kind of excuse. I could have gotten some money together with other people, which would make me pay less than what 40 bucks? and then one of us could wear the shoes, or we could have donated to someone in need of shoes in the community. or I could have just donated some $ I had. It made me feel stupid. so blind, self-centered, and not insightful.
I am not trying to critize the event "Barefoot day" by Toms. I think it is great. It is not only to sell the shoes to college students, but also to make them aware of it and to make them make others aware of it. It is kind of all about being AWARE of it. and It is great. but it is just STARTING point of making a real difference. We have to step up and start dealing with it and caring abou it with the awareness we have in our hearts.



No comments:

Post a Comment